traffic analysis

Monday, November 15, 2010

Trying to control feelings

I had a really good discussion in chat with darling Mo Yee. She asked how I am and although I was having lunch and got that in my cell phone instead of laptop, I replied to her... sharing 28 years old memories from her visit in Finland has been really therapeutic and has felt so good that I have sometimes had tears in my eyes, looking at all those photos... it is such a happy feeling!



I said I was somehow messed up with feelings and completely lost, unaware of what I should do. It was not that feelings would come and go and be out of my control. It was that I was desperately trying to control all negative feelings from taking over, and I felt I was losing the battle, and I was getting desperate. I was about doing things that I knew I did not want to do, that felt really difficult and that would only have been repeating old mistakes and creating misrability.



It was lucky that she came around and started asking questions. When I started putting that mess that was in my heart and head into words, I started to realize what it was about. Being in a nonverbal state, it was impossible to even understand - not to talk about analyzing and finding solutions.



Mo Yee said my medication probably affects my mood too. I am sure it does. I am going through something that I have never gone through and that is considered a very hard treatment (the cytpstates). It is killing cancer cells, if there are any, but also other cells in me, cells that my body needs. And my body has to adjust to that and recover from that - over and over again.



Then she asked if I get enough rest. Well I most certainly don't get even near enough, if not 2 hours sleep at night is considered as such. I am exhausted to such limits that I don't know what will happen. I don't even know any reason for staying awake, I just do. Sometimes I have pains, sometimes (often!) it is asthma that is keeping me awake, sometimes, like last night, nothing - I suppose I was awake because I was too exhausted to sleep.



Then we talked about the necessity to listen to our bodies and act accordingly. I am exhausted so the absolutely most important thing in my life is to rest. I am ill (caught a cold which made asthma worse which caused me to start another course of cortizone which is such a good medicine but I hate it because of what it does to me...) so I have to focus on getting well and forget about excercise.



I was afraid I'd do uncontrolled things because of all feelings that were going round in me and that did not have a proper name or cause... I was looking at completely wrong direction, not noticing that the cause to those feelings of frustration, anger, agony, uncertainty, helplessness... was what was going on in me, my body, and what was actually quite enough to cause all those feelings... and nothing that was going on around me. Nobody had caused it, not even myself - I am seriously ill and it puts me to situations that I cannot handle. Mo Yee reminded me to pray before I react to things that arise negative feelings. I did that right away and felt the difference. Instead of feeling misused and neglected and angry and whatever - I felt calm, positive, understanding, goodwilling - it is really a miracle what prayer can do. It is amazing that i DO KNOW ALL THAT - I just had gone so lost that I had FORGOT THE BASICS: prayer, rest, listening to myself and acting accordingly. And that medication can cause terrible things.



There will be yet another challenge. I will have the ct scan of the upper belly on Friday because the doctors think there is a possibility that cancer has spread to liver. I know my life is not in my own hands, it is not in the doctors' hands - I know I need not worry - and I cannot help worrying and being afraid anyway.



I know it is important to stay positive. I just don't know if anybody who has not had cancer her/himself knows how hard it is sometimes. I have been to the point where it has started to feel wishful thiking, and I have come back from there. I feel it really weary to struggle in three weeks' periods - cyto meds infusion, then three weeks pause, then lab tests, and if body has recovered, another cyto med infusion... when I think of that, it brings tears in my eyes. It feels really really awful mentally, not to talk about that it feels awful also physically. Just when I feel that I have got on my feet, there will be another infusion and I will have to start from bottom again. I cannot even explain how it feels.



But there are so many positive things too. I have awesome friends, I didn't even know how awesome before I got cancer. I could go in detail but I know many of them are really modest too and don't want to be praised publicly. I just want to know that I SEEEE every single thing that you do for me, and that they mean so much more than you can ever think about. I love you all from the bottom of my heart. I feel I don't deserve all this - this goodness - but you keep telling me that of course I do. And if I get in real trouble like today - God will send someone of you to say the right things, to ask the right questions, if I cannot do that myself. I feel like carried by so many hands, by so many prayers from all over the world that I am really privileged. It seems incredible that complete strangers are praying for me.But for some reason - and I think the reason are my friends - they are. I am overly grateful foir everything.



But easy this is not. It is everything else. I am so good in being ill, I have lots of experience - but nothing that would have helped me go through this. To this, my experience is not enough. But I am learning. ;)

No comments: