traffic analysis

Sunday, November 21, 2010

What does being a cancer survivor mean to me?

What does being a cancer survivor mean to me?
by Ugri Fenno on Sunday, November 21, 2010 at 8:56pm

I am, according to definition, an acute cancer survivor. It means that I did not die of it, but the treatment procedure started with me and I am now living it through.



What does it mean to me?



It means that nothing is the same than it used to be.



It means that I still have my family and their support, but also that my having cancer is loading them enormously in all ways: our income is less and we have to adjust to that since I don't work; it in turn means that all our planned and unplanned travels have been canceled beceuse right now we cannot afford them. It means that many other things have to be postponed or canceled too, but we can manage as long as I will have a job to return to after I ahve gone through this healing time.



It also means that when I am often tired and must concentrate in getting more fit to survive, and to prohobit the cancer from recurring, I cannot do so much at home either. It means others must share a bigger deal of household work. We have tried to involve children and I think it works as good as it can, they have to be reminded all the time, but my wonderful husband has always shared a huge deal of household work and I am afraid this will loas him even more.



What it also means is emotional stress to my near and loved ones. I know my children are living a hard time emotionally, being worried of me and stressed by the uncertainty cancer brings with itself. It feels awful to me to see that, understand that, and not being able to take that burden away. Anyway, they are just kids! It feels so unreasonable to them.



ANd to my husband. I don't know it he has anyone to talk to about his feelings. He does not talk about his fears to me, or about my possible death, or anything. When he is with me, he denies it all - at least to me. He is a wonderful support, I am just so worried that he takes a too heavy load too. I think we are all protecting each other somehow.



And to me too... I live in uncertainty and I try to find out the strength to live in it, not only now, but during the rest of my life. Sometimes I live one day at a time, sometimes, when it is really hard physikcally and / or mentally, I live one hour at a time. I live more in thne present than in the future. And for some reason ... memories have taken an important and meaningful place in my life and among those things that matter. I mean both good and bad memories.



Right now being a cancer survivor means toi me that my life goes in cycles: cytostate infusion on Friday, after three weeks Thursday lab tests, on Friday cytostates again, and in between all other doc appointments, struggling with side effects, fear of hair loss, mental coping with physical and mental feelings that are rised by the treatments... sometimes I get lost in my feelings and I ahve learned to be really cautious and careful in expressing what I feel - I think I don't have so many people around me who can really take it all so I better invest in future friendships - that they exist also in the future - and not load them so much now. Which leaves me quite alone of course.



But this has also shown to me that I have great friends... and that they are far more capable in expressing their friendship than I had ever thought of. Many take time to be with me, some travel long ways to me... I appreciate it very much. Of course, it makes the contrast really huge to those who don't have time or interest. I try to adjust and not expect anything - after all, friendship is voluntary and I don't want to be a burden to anyone. I don't want anything that anyone must force him- or herself to.



I am painfully aware of that medication affects me in all ways - physical, and mental too. I am painfully aware of that I cannot control myself as much as I'd like to. I do and say things that I should not, and I am all the time afraid I may hurt someone or be too direct or... just anything. I cannot ask for understanding because of being ill and drugged... at least I feel so. It does not give me the right to behave in an inappropriate way. I HATE to behave that way and I'd like to apologise and talk things through when it happens....



I am also very sensitive myself and get hurt easily - which I don't want to say because I feel uncvmfortable if I think people are being overly careful with me. I am sensitive - very sensitive - about my privacy, for example. I hear and read things in a different way sometimes - "understand" things that are not really there. I can say, in general, that ALL things mean a lot more to me now.



But being a survivor also means to me that I have survived the acute pass-away. It means that there is hope in my life, and hope is in a very important place in my life right now. It also means that I am doing really everything that I can and that is in my power to survive in the long-term, too. To survive permanently. It means ups and downs, and constant starting from zero... and constant fight against depression which could be caused by the physical conditon collapsing after each treatment...



And it means constant balancing with everything that I ahve listed. Surprisingly, it also means that my days are pretty busy - if I include everything that my rehabilitation needs,a nd taking care of the financies (which means writing continuous allpications to the social security), and running errands and doing some household work - I am full.time occupied anyway, even if I don't work. But I think it is worth it.I am worth the effort now. I have never invested in myself like this. I feel that now I have to. Not only for myself, but for all those who love me and care for me and who want to share many more years with me.



God speaks to me very directly, like He always has. In sermons, preaches, through friends, via the Bible. ANd that, though it comes last, is not the least thing in my life. I would be really lost without faith.

No comments: